Monday, June 16, 2008

From the Lost Heywood Slide Archives


I LOVE photographs! They preserve memories in our minds and paint portraits of personalities. They convey love, friendship, family. They are our history. Imagine my joy when I found a box of old slides in my parents' garage! The fun thing about this box is that I vaguely remember it as mine. I got my first camera for Christmas when I was 8 or 9, I think. Back in those days, I used slide film because it was cheaper and I was paying for my own film and the developing. I have discovered that it isn't that cheap to have your slides scanned and put on a disc here in the present...$0.25 per slide at Costco. I might have been better off to have had prints made in the first place? No importa...it doesn't matter. I have this treasure box of memories, little bits of my family's history. It turns out that the box is, indeed, mine. I started with about 100 slides, only about 1/10 of the box. Here are a few of my favorites from this first batch.
Who IS that handsome boy with the high-water pants (second from the left)?!
Holly blowing out the candles on her 3rd birthday. If anyone can remember why she has two black eyes, please tell us!
My saxophone & me...proof positive that I DID, in fact, play the saxophone...Jeremiah has a hard time believing this, as I have never played for him.
The extra little boy in the top picture is one of our foster brothers...if someone could remind me of his name, I would appreciate it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo's Heidi.
Holly had several eye muscle surgeries to straighten out her crossed eyes that left her with black eyes. You probably remember the eye patches she wore to help fix that problem.
Grandpa H

Montserrat said...

I love looking through old photographs. My kids quite enjoy it too. Love the mismatched socks in the last one. They are coming back in style!

Lana said...

I love old pictures!! They are the best! I love seeing you when you were younger. So cute! The sax? That is awesome!
Thanks for your comments the other day. So sweet.

Heidi said...

I must explain the mismatched socks...I think they were part of a costume for a previous musical number (singing & dancing), though I can't really remember what we sang or why we were dressed that way! My oc personality does not allow me to wear mismatched socks for real...even if it IS in style!

Heywood Family said...

Has anyone ever seen a picture of Rob without him being silly?!? I have a million pictures of him pulling faces!
Dana